During 12 -16 February, 2009 at Chicago the American Association
for the Advancement of Science (AAAS ) has held the
175-th AAAS Conference "Our Planet and its Life:
Origins and Future".
The American Association for the Advancement of Science - AAAS, founded in 1848 year at Philadelphia, represents the oldest science society of the US, that today consists of a 140 thousands of individual members and about 260 of an associated science organizations, among which: American Chemistry Society (1876), American Physical Society, American Anthropological Association (1902), Botanics Society of America (1906), American Association of Women-scientists that includes more than 10 millions of people. Association publishes one of the world-known magazine - Science
(www.sciencemag.org). Scientists and engineers, politics, specialists of the educational area, science societies and non-governmental organizations of many countries of the world are the members of the AAAS.
Annually AAAS holds the extended conference with a plenary sessions, symposiums and seminars. At the AAAS-2009 Conference at Chicago, a 175 symposiums, seminars, working meetings, plenary sessions, and subject lectures, read by a world-know scientists on a 24 theme sections, were organized.
During of the five working conference days on a big territory, there had been organized the AAAS-2009 exhibition where a new achievements in science, engineering, education and technologies were widely represented.
In 2006, E.P. Velikhov was elected as the member of the AAAS's Physical section from Russia. The other Russian scientists M. V. Kovalchuk and Z. E. Alferov have been awarded in the 2008.
On the invitation of the Electronic Visualization Laboratory, University of Illinois at Chicago
(http://www.evl.uic.edu) two Russian science organizations, The Russian Research Center" Kurchatov Institute (RRC KI) and The Space Research Institute of Russian Academy of Science (IKI), participated in a videoconference during AAAS-2009 exhibition held at the pavilion of the National Science Foundation.
During two days there were two successful Moscow - Chicago videoconferences:
The Russian Research Center "Kurchatov Institute"
Saturday, February 14 2009, in 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM at Chicago (in 19:00 - 200:00 at Moscow)
Presentation: RRC KI - Interdisciplinary Research Center.
From RRC KI there were:
- Academician, President RRC "Kurchatov Institute", E.P. Velikhov,
- Academician, President of Russian Foundation for Basic Research, and Director of the Institute of Molecular Physics, RRC "Kurchatov Institute", V. Y. Panchenko,
- Vice Director of the Information Technologies and Systems, RRC "Kurchatov Institute", V.E. Velikhov,
- Head of the Information and Technical support of the ITER project, Institute Nuclear Synthesis (Institute Nuclear Fusion?), RRC "Kurchatov Institute" I.B. Semenov,
- Network Applications Department, Russian Institute for Public Networks N .A. Bulashova,
- Head, Department of the engineer and technical support, Institute of the Information System, RSC Kurchatov Institute V. Timakin.
The president of the RRC KI, Academician Velikhov E.P. in his presentation "RRC Kurchatov Institute" - Interdisciplinary Research Center", said about a basic science research areas and international activity of RRC KI.
The Space Research Institute (IKI)
of the Russian Academy of Science
On February 15, 2009, in 10:00 - 11:00 at Chicago (in 19:00 - 20:00 at Moscow)
Presentation: "Using of lambda-grid technology for an exchange, analysis, and science data visualization".
It was an on-line demonstration on the tiled display using 1 Gb/c channel between Moscow and Chicago: The Tiled display technology for visualization of a science date in geology, geoinformatics and art.
From Space Research Institute with presentations and demonstrations of a joint projects there participated the scientist and PhD students of the Department of High Performance Computing Systems and Networks, and the Grid-technology Laboratory: Berezin S. B., Boyarsky M. B., Govorov A. B., Polyakov A. N.
During two days of the videoconference there was a discussion of the presentations, non-formal opinion exchanges between of the participants, a possibilities of an International collaboration was being discussed. At the exhibition from the USA in the videoconference, there took part the representatives of the University of Illinois at Chicago, Northwestern University, National Science Foundation, Argonne National Laboratory, University of California San Diego, and others.
This is the first time the Russian research organization participated in the AAAS exhibition in the format of videoconference with a presentations and demonstrations.
The videoconference and participation in the demonstration of the science projects had shown high professional level of all participants in the preparation of the international videoconference and the efficiency of using modern telecommunication technologies for international science collaboration.
The organizers of the international videoconference:
- The preparation and organization of the international channels for the videoconference was provided by Russian Institute for Public Networks (RIPN). There had been organized and used the international channels: the special channel 1 GE Moscow-Stockholm-Amsterdam-Chicago; Public Internet (through GEANT);
- The network technical support for the videoconference was provided by NOC-RIPN, NOC-KIAE, NOC-IKI;
- The systems, equipment, and technical support for the videoconference at RRC KI were provided by: Institute of the Nuclear Synthesis, Institute of the Information Systems of the RRC KI
- The systems, equipment, and technical support for the videoconference and demonstration at Space Research Institute were provided by: the Department of High-performance Systems and Networks; the Grid-technological Laboratory of the Space Research Institute;
- The preparation of the presentation and mass-media work had been done by Press-center of the RRC KI and Press-service of the RIPN.
The participants of the videoconference preparation:
RIPN (Bulashova N.A., Vorobjov A., Platonov A.P., Tuzhilkina E.A.);
RRC KI (Velikhov V.E., Semenov I.B. (INS), Kuvshinnikova N.Y. (INS), Strelnikova N., Timakin B. (IIS), Ycishina E.B.);
IKI: (Boyarsky M.B., Zhizhin M.N., Ctarostina O., Andreeva A.V., Nazirov R.R., Polyakov A.N., Berezin S.B., Revin O., Govorov A.V., Novikov A.);
Sate Science Research Institute of Restoration (Bergman N.G.);
NOC-RIPN (Zachinyaev A., Ilyin A., Makov S.);
NOC-KIAE (Lobaznikov N., Shitov A.);
NOC-IKI (Boyarsky M., Starostina O.)